Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Meet Everett Lee May

Having fun with Daddy!

Lovin' the camera




Welcome Everett! This momma has needed some much needed sleep the past month, so I am finally writing an update. Little Everett graced us with his presence after 11 hours of labor...he was 8 lb. 7 oz. and 19.5 inches long. Here's our story:

 I started contractions the night of Sept 9th at 10:30pm...I told Adam that I was having some intense cramps, we wondered if I was "in labor," but decided to go on a walk and try to get some sleep. I laid down and immediately Adam and I felt a thud. Adam thought I jumped, but then I realized my bag of waters broke (@12:30am). I got out of bed, looked at him and said, "And it starts..." He immediately started getting the birthing tub ready and called my mom, work (telling them I wouldn't be in in the morning), and the midwife. My contractions started at 7 minutes apart. In the meantime, I labored on our birthing ball and really didn't want anything but reassurance that I could do it through each contraction. We experimented with different positions to labor in, but the birthing ball was the winner. (On my back in bed was the absolute most uncomfortable position ever!!!) 

To clarify...yes, we planned on having a home birth. I knew that I wanted to labor at home. Yes there are definitely risks, but I felt that laboring at home minimized the potential risks of unnecessary interventions in a hospital. Secondly, I also felt confident in my midwife(s) and had spent a significant amount of time with my birthing team. They were more friends then a doctor/patient relationship. Lastly, I knew my body knew what to do and all I had to do was surrender. I had been educated on what to expect and knew I could trust my husband to provide the comfort and reassurance I needed. Our home is a place that is quiet, peaceful, and private. 

So, continuing on with our story...

Around 3am our midwifes and birthing attendant arrived and helped get the birthing tub ready. Once ready, I spent the rest of my labor in the tub...it felt great! At 8:30am I started pushing (I was completely dilated and the heart tones sounded good) and Everett was born at 9:50am on Monday, September 10th. Adam helped "catch" him and he was immediately brought to my chest for Adam and I to admire. Suddenly, all that intense labor seemed a blur and our world was changed for the good!

Postpartum was the most difficult part for me, but I am so thankful for my knowledgeable birthing team. I hemorrhaged and was incredibly dizzy and had difficulty hearing. I was immediately given a few shots of pitocin, along with having to be catheterized to help empty my bladder. (Helping my uterus to clamp down). An IV was started and I received 3 Liters of IV fluid. I lost around 1200 ml of blood total. And unfortunately tore a little, so I had to be sutured. After all that, I eventually started re-couping, but was completely exhausted! I was so thankful to be home recuperating! My mom and dad came out to help out that first night, along with Adam's parents the 2nd day. I was so thankful for the extra help seeing as I needed help just getting up.

Overall, I wouldn't change a thing and I definitely would have another home birth. I loved it!! I loved being home. I loved the relationship I established with my birthing team. I loved sharing in the experience with my husband...the list could go on and on. 

I feel empowered! My husband and I made it through the delivery together, and I didn't take any pain medication! If there's anything I can pass along it is that an unmedicated delivery is possible and do"able." Not going to lie, it was the most intense work I have ever done but so short in retrospect, and completely worth the benefits.

So that's our wonderful story! (And it doesn't end there...)
Everett: a big name for such a little guy

1 mo already!








2 comments:

  1. Michelle this is such a beautiful birth story. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I'm planning to have a home birth as well! Thank you so much for sharing your story! Let me know if you have any pointers for me! I hope you, Adam, and little Everett are settling in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved loved loved reading this story!

    ReplyDelete