Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Glamorous Life of Motherhood: A Message to My Boys

You may not know yet that your daddy and I did something a little unique. We started an email account for both of you. Every so often I send encouragement notes, things I am learning, pictures, etc. We know that someday you will be technologically savvy and able to track everything we post to social media, so we want to start including and encouraging you.

On social media I try to post articles, comments, or pictures that are uplifting, informative, or adorably cute and funny. I know you are unaware, but I have benefited more than many know from the honesty and raw'ness' of some posts...particularly about motherhood. As much as I love being your mom and wouldn't trade it for the world, it's exhausting. Not only is the work of motherhood 24/7, but there is so much judgement felt, uncertainty in planning, fear of unknowns, and loneliness felt meshed with the joy, laughter, excitement, love, and smiles I experience when I'm with you. As an effort to encourage other mommies I know, show my boys what God is teaching and showing me, and have something to look back on to remember God's faithfulness, I'm going to be vulnerable and expose the 'messiness' of my life to you and others by linking or posting some pics throughout the past couple weeks. So in just a few more words, here's our meager beginnings in our journey through life together, and I'm convinced, some things I will truly miss as you grow older...

Everett, you LOVE to color right now. Crayons, marker, paint...you name it. You have marker up and down your arms and on your face, but I still let you make a mess by coloring ON THE PAPER. I love watching you work away...
So Bennett...this week we've had a rough one. No naps, up every hour at night, cutting teeth, and tugging, bitting, and pulling during nursing sessions wear's this mama out. But I know these things will pass. Part of the reason I think you don't want to sleep is due to the developmental milestone you've reached: crawling. Yep, at almost 9 months old, I knew you'd eventually decide to move. :) You have also taken off enjoying anything put in front of you...squash, sweet potato, avacado, applesauce...you name it. I have yet to find something you won't eat.  
We've had this Daniel Tiger book for 3 weeks now from the library. You won't let it out of your sight. I am waiting to get another Daniel Tiger book on hold at the library to exchange this one in it's place...Ohhh, your daddy and I are so tired of reading this one book OVER and OVER. 
Yep, that's right. This is the best family photo we can get these days.
And these...are the laundry piles that remain until someone visits and then gets thrown onto our bed. I sometimes catch up on laundry at night when you both are down for the night...sometimes...ok rarely. Ohhh the mess bothers me immensely, but I'm too exhausted to care or worry about it anymore. Plus, we had way more fun working on a puzzle and playing with play-doh that morning. I'm learning life is all about choices. This morning I chose to interact with my boys instead of running around like a crazy woman cleaning. :) 
No-Nap Benny is what I've been calling you all week. But...since you weren't napping while your brother was, I got a shower! (Since you sleep in the closet in our bathroom, and I can't take one when you are sleeping!) Anyways, those darn teeth. I'm praying for some relief from the 3 new teeth that erupted these past two weeks.
Here you are Everett: sick again! We went to Build-a-Bears with Aunt Jessie & Uncle Chris to use the gift card from the Grimmer's. You didn't want anything to do with stuffing a bear and putting a beating heart in him. You just wanted to bathe Aunt Jessie's bear AND this tiny pre-stuffed, rainbow kitty. Later, a band-aid was placed on Kitty's leg after several kisses to the boo-boo. :)
The most amazing discovery was made this week!! (see above) We all trekked out of the house in the pouring rain to make it to this church that offers a fun, indoor play area. I think this is where, Everett, you picked up your sickness, but it was barrels of fun for you. Benny, you were content just to hang out in the ergo with mommy while I talked to all my mommy friends. I'm so thankful for all the amazing moms at our church!




Lastly, I struggled to get my BSF lesson done for the week, but I did it! I sometimes have to take a picture of my lesson, sit in the dark with my phone on dim and read it while nursing Benny to sleep, but I am working on using my time wisely and efficiently. I'm so thankful to be able to study God's Word and have time to do so! My week, outlook, and mood is usually much improved when I carve out time to spend with my Heavenly Father.

And there you have it: my amazing past two weeks! Not too exciting and a bit ordinary and predictable, but God can still use those things. My daily prayer for my boys is that they would see the love of God through my hands of service to my family.

Bennett & Everett: Mommy and daddy love you. Through our imperfections and our mess, we pray that we can teach you about God's grace, mercy, and forgiveness that was extended and offered to us all.

On with our next week...

P.S.~ Because it has taken me two weeks to write this..hehe..this was as far back as 3 wks ago. :)
Deadlines get pushed back when mommy is sick, you boys are sick, and we had to deal with a tooth incident. More details to come on our our exciting adventures...


No comments:

Post a Comment